RNI stands for Registrar of Newspapers for India. The Office of the Registrar of Newspapers for India (RNI) is a portal which came into existence on 1st july, 1956.
RNI maintains a register of newspapers regulated in India. The owner of a newspaper has to register under RNI to start a newspaper business.
Process of Registration
- Verification of Title
- Registration of Title
Procedure of a RNI Registration
- VERIFICATION OF TITLE: The owner should get the required title verified after applying as per the procedure for title verification.
2. AUTHENTICATION OF DECLARATION:
- After receiving the title verification letter, the same should be presented to forwarding authority concerned
- If publisher and printer are different persons, then separate declarations from both publisher and printer are required.
- Separate declarations are required if publisher and printer are in different districts.
- The publisher should file declaration from the district of place of publication and printer should file declaration from the district of printing press
3. PUBLICATION OF VOLUME/YEAR-1 ISSUE-1:
- Under section 5 (5) of PRB Act 1867, volume/year-1 issue-1 should be brought within 42 days of authentication of declaration.
- Volume/year-1 issue-1 should be brought out within 90 days of authentication of declaration.
- The date of authentication of place of publication declaration filed by the publisher will be considered for calculating 42/90 days for beginning of volume-1 issue-1, If the place of publication and printing press are in different districts.
- In case volume-1 issue- 1 is not brought out within the required time period, a revised declaration should be filed and volume-1 issue-1 should be brought out within the required period from the date of authentication of revised declaration.
- The publication should be printed in the press mentioned in the declaration.
- The publication should primarily contain news/views/articles etc and in case of bilingual/multilingual publications, news/views/articles etc should be brought out in all the languages of the publication.
4. SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTS TO RNI FOR REGISTRATION:
- After receiving the title verification letter from RNI website, the same should be presented to the forwarding authority concerned.