RNI Registration is for commencing a business in newspaper. Therefore, RNI stands for Registrar of Newspapers for India. The Office of the Registrar of Newspapers for India (RNI) is a portal that came into existence on 1st July, 1956. However, RNI maintains a register of newspapers regulated in India. Hence, the owner of a newspaper has to register under RNI to start a new business.
Process of Registration
- Verification of Title
- Registration of Title
The procedure of a RNI Registration
- VERIFICATION OF TITLE: Accordingly, the owner will get the required title verified after applying for title verification.
2. AUTHENTICATION OF DECLARATION:
- After, receiving the title verification letter, the same will presented to the forwarding authority concerned
- If the publisher and printer are different persons, then separate declarations from both publisher and printer are required.
- Separate declarations are required if publishers and printers are in different districts.
- Alternatively, the publisher should file a declaration from the district of the place of publication. The printer should file a declaration from the district of the printing press
3. PUBLICATION OF VOLUME/YEAR-1 ISSUE-1:
- Therefore, under section 5 (5) of PRB Act 1867, volume/year-1 issue-1 will be brought within 42 days of authentication of declaration.
- Volume/year-1 issue-1 should be brought out within 90 days of authentication of declaration.
- Although, the date of authentication of the place of publication declaration filed by the publisher will be considered for calculating 42/90 days for the beginning of volume-1 issue-1 If the place of publication and printing press are in different districts.
- Moreover , in case volume-1 issue- 1 is not brought out within the required time period, a revised declaration should be filed and volume-1 issue-1 should be brought out within the required period from the date of authentication of revised declaration.
- Even though, the publication should be printed in the press mentioned in the declaration.
- The publication should primarily contain news/views/articles etc and in case of bilingual/multilingual publications, news/views/articles etc should be brought out in all the languages of the publication.
4. SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTS TO RNI FOR REGISTRATION:
- After receiving the title verification letter from RNI website, the same have presented to the forwarding authority concerned.